Sunday, September 12, 2010

But First, A Word...

Allow me to take this moment to set the stage for what happens next.

Several months ago, I heard about something on facebook.  Many things, probably, but one thing of extreme significance.  A friend of a friend posted something about this crazy obstacle course called 'Warrior Dash,' and how it was happening in Oregon on September 11.

I was fortunate in a couple of ways.  My friend commented on the post, and the privacy settings between the two of them were just right for me to be able to see that he had commented on said post.  I was then able to comment as well, and express interest.

Ultimately, I was able to secure the necessary days off, and the plan had been to drive down on Friday, do this thing on Saturday, then drive back on Sunday.  After a few months, the details of the southward journey and the temporary residence situations were still completely unclear. 

Since my work week is Thursday through Monday, and the days I already had off were the middle three days, I did something maybe a little unnecessary and got Thursday and Monday off, as well.  Because the details hadn't been hammered out as far as I knew, I informed the organizer that I would no longer be needing a ride, and that whatever accomodations were planned I would still pay my share for and make use of.

But my new plan... oh, my new plan.  My new plan was to just go drive around for a week.  The only commitment was really to go to the Warrior Dash, and pay whatever was owed on the room, if anything.  I planned on putting it to use, but as long as I paid my share, I had been willing to stay somewhere else come what may.

I write this preface from the midst of my journey.  The plan was intended to be only vague at best, and at times has become necessarily specific, but all of it has been worthwhile.  There have been moments of worry and frustration, but also moments of great satisfaction and levity.  To this point, the good has far outweighed the bad.  I'm not even complaining about my sunburn.

So, all of that being said, stay tuned, stay RSSed, and stay fed.  There will be more to come.  Happy reading.

No comments: